Tempo And How To Use It

USE 1:
Multiply your tempo by 4, now you can write in 3/4, 5/4, and most other time signatures. if you can multiply by 8 (only tempos under 125) you can write in 7/8 and other weird tempos

USE 2:
metal guitar sounds better when at a high tempo and longer note lengths (this is fairly useless info unless you use rapid 16ths in metal guitar (only I do that(too stubborn to leave metal alone)))

Use 3:

Perfect triplets, triple the tempo multiply all note lengths outside triplet by 3 and all inside the triplet are twice the triplet value.

Feel free to add to the list.

Well actually to do stuff in 3/4 you would triple the tempo and do stuff in 5/4 you would quintuple the tempo.

nope. if you triple 3/4 you get 33/4 = 9/4 (not even) quintuple 5/4 you get 55/4 = 25/4 not even
if you quadruple 3/4 and 5/4 you get 34/4, and 54/4 = 12/4 (even), 20/4 (even)
basically each measure is a quarter note.

if its in a */4 time, just quadruple it and the # on the left is how many measures=1 measures

this is in 4/4 time… multiply it by 4 and you get 1 quarter note as a measure. (Im reusing an old help thing, don’t worry about that last one being different from this problem)
http://notessimo.net/viewtopic.php?f=1334&t=45546

We’re actually saying the same thing just you’re starting with the finished product and I’m starting with the starting product:

You=
if you quadruple 3/4 and 5/4 you get 34/4, and 54/4 = 12/4 (even), 20/4 (even)

Me=
if you triple 4/4 and quintuple 4/4 you get 34/4, and 54/4 = 12/4 (even), 20/4 (even)

yes but yours dosent work in 3/4 or 5/4 time. which is the point :twisted:

stop thinking about what time signature its in, just put it so that a quarter note is a measure (times by 4).

I think there is a misunderstanding my solution multiply by four. Musline’s solution multiply by 3 or 5. which dosen’t work for that purpose.

Ok let me put it this way =

Your method = 3/4 → 4/4
My method = 4/4 → 3/4

Ok, you are both right. You are saying the same things, but reversing the order of the numbers.

Anyway…

I’m, not too musically saavy, and I don’t know how to use a n/8 time sig (or I do, but I don’t realize it). Exactly how is it different from n/4?

In N/8, instead of using quarter notes as the unit of measurement, you use 8th notes. The N’s # is to show how many 8th notes are in a measure.

Well the difference is each beat of a n/8 time sig is a quaver (8th note) and each beat of a n/4 is a crotchet (16th note).
If say you have a lot of triplets in your n/4 time sigs you should use n/8 as in n/8 sigs the “n” is a multiple of 3 (usually 6) and so the triplets go in evenly.
You might say that 6/8 is the same as 3/4 (as they both go into 3) but the heavy beat on 6/8 lies on the 1st and 3rd beat (beat-o-o-beat-o-o) while the heavy beats on 3/4 lies on the 1st only (beat-o-o)
Also when writing out the music you need to join up the notes differently but you don’t need to know that.

That almost helped me lol. I don’t think I’m absorbing it. Can ayone make an example of how it would be used?

no muse, Notessimo is in common time, that is 4/4. if the beat of a measure in n/4 time was a 16th note, then a 4/4 time would only have a single quarter note. in n/4, the beat is a quarter note. that’s why in class your teacher tells you to go 1234 while counting the beats. you don’t go 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16, do you?

Fish: in n/8 you would count a measure to 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, but twice as fast as n/4, which is 1 2 3 4.

So there’s just 8 beats in a measure instead of 4?

Well usually for fast pieces. Say you had 2/4, you’d count each bar as |1,2| With the accent on the 1. With 6/8 instead you’d count a bar as |1,2,3,4,5,6|
It’s really splitting each beat of the 2/4 into three, like if you had a triplet on each beat in 2/4 it would be the same. I’m sorry, I didn’t really answer the question. No-one really uses it though, 3/4 is an easier alternative.

Sorry I’m not used to American music. I meant 4th note.

Depends what number “n” is.

https://www.notessimo.net/?id=44930

sheet 0 is 4/4 time, and sheet 1 is 8/8 time. The notes are placed on the beat. see how in 4/4 time there is quarter notes? that’s the n/4 going in to play. there are also 4 beats in the measure. that’s the 4/n. same thing with the 8/8, there is 8 beats, and each beat is an 8th note.

do you understand now fish? but remember, if its in 6/8, the beats will still be 8th notes, but there will only be 6 beats. This can be rounded down to 3/4, its the same thing, just the measure end at a different spot.

this was my 1500 post :twisted:

Ok. Lemme see if I have this down. 4/4 is half as fast as 8/8?

8/8 is a bad example gs, only pieces in that probably have an additive time sig of 3 + 2 + 3/8 or something.

Fish, you only really encounter 6/8, 9/8 an 12/8, so the strong beat is every 3 notes. If you don’t care about strong beats, 6/8 = 3/4. It’s all about the beats.

ive seen 7/8 once it was in a crazy song though
WARNING: this is the only song this from this band that has been tabbed the intro riff sucks and is there worst song IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmg3jr7Bhfo
EDIT: here are the tabs instead
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e046e465671cbe3eaf924764f9977b1de5a2a3e5628d4594f7e866bfb1230ce0