Talk About Your Fears

This is just a random topic for listing your phobias and maybe even talk about them.

My fears (in order of severity in ascending order of least to greatest):

Necrophobia - Fear of death (Blame self-preservation)
Acrophobia - Fear of Heights (I was traumatized by standing on the roof of a castle when I was 7 years old)
Anemophobia - Fear of wind/gusts (I get a little paranoid every time the wind exceeds 40 MPH)
Astraphobia - Fear of lightning/thunder (Admit it, sudden loud noises are terrifying)

I think I have the first and third in that order.
I’m not really sure what I have.

Next person in the circle…

friggin wasps

Spoders.

Oh yeah, I’m afraid of bees too.

I’m a bit nervous about this, but here goes…

Necrophobia
Apiphobia - Fear of bees (I have never been stung by a bee before.)
Sedatephobia - Fear of silence (I’m going to guess I’m the only one that has this fear. When I’m in silence I can get scared a lot easier.)
I’m also mildly afraid of spiders

Spheksophobia

Arachnophobia

Apiphobia

1 Like

Really? I didn’t know that wasps had their own phobia. So I’m also spheksophobic

Yeah, a lot of things have their own phobia name. For example:

Arachibutyrophobia - The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - The fear of long words.
Paraskavedekatriaphobia - The fear of any 13th that lands on a Friday.
Melophobia - The fear of MUSIC!!!
Technophobia - The fear of technology.
Phobophobia - The fear of fear.
Atychiphobia - The fear of failure or being wrong.

1 Like

That phobia is a troll.

Sorry Blarg.

3 Likes

No, the DICTIONARY DEFINITION of phobia is the following:
“An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.”

Saying that a phobia is an anxiety disorder is like saying not knowing something means you’re mentally retarded (I’ll admit, that comparison is a little exaggerated, but it gets the point across). With this definition in mind, the only fear that doesn’t belong on this page is Necrophobia, because it is extremely rational to fear death.

Is there a phobia for not being able to do anything?

Chronophobia is the fear of time
Like not having enough time to do anything

But I’m not sure about the fear of not being able to do anything

Sorry Blarg.

V3 getting cancled.

Tsukasa

getting banned

getting an std

notessimo

losing my phone

So true.

I find it a little hilarious that you are discrediting the dictionary (a book) with more books! Saying a word spoken by one person is more important than a word spoken by another person is more important is just silly, so why to you insist the dictionary doesn’t belong in arguments? Yes, it’s not unchanging, but what isn’t? Every day people will talk about science, but science is constantly changing, so does that make any argument they make involving science invalid? All it comes down to is just opinions and the way people see things. Hell, you could say anxiety and fear are two sides to the same coin. But the problem is, in the context of this forum, we are not talking about having disorders, just irrational fears. Now can we get back on topic and throw more words around?

P.S. Ha, yes Necrophobia does sound kinda contradicting. Maybe some people think fearing death is irrational?

Oh God why.

Ok, now you’re just being silly. Did I not say phobia has multiple meanings? It’s like saying depression ONLY means “A period of low general economic activity marked especially by rising levels of unemployment (Merriam-Webster)”. If you were to go up to a random person and say “Hey, what does phobia mean?”, chances are they will reply “Irrational fear.” Like I said, you can only apply a specific definition if the context allows it. Everyone here is using the short-hand “Irrational Fear” definition rather than the one that means you have a disorder. Words are only defined by the people; If a definition gets popular, it embeds itself in the language. You act like there is no room for two definitions on a word, but in fact many words we use have over three definitions. Take a look at Mononucleosis. It is a disease and can be referred to as “The kissing disease” and even shorter… “Mono.” You don’t see people stressing out when someone says, “Oh, I have mono,” just because mono also means “One.” And as far as I know, no definition of phobia includes every tic and tension, only irrational fears.

I’d rather not have this topic locked due to a random definition argument, so if you have any irrational fears, spew them out.