Notessimo History [UNF]

History of Notessimo
The entire Notessimo Empire began in the year 2007. Jean-Denis Boivin is the mastermind behind this wonderful composing game. He, with the help of Team-Atemis.com was able to complete his first program: Notessimo 1. Now, Notessimo 1 didn’t have its own site. However, it was published to Kongregate.com. This game was a near mimic of Mario Paint Composer, which had come out many years earlier. The blue background held the single staff with no key or time signature. This had a neat save feature along with many so-called “demos.” When you wanted to use an instrument, it took close to a second to hear the Middle C pitch before adding it to the staff. It included Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion, Mario Paint sounds, Keyboards, and other miscellaneous instruments. Even though it was very basic, people could easily crank out songs.
Roughly about a year later, Jean-Denis started his own website. Upon creating the website, he named himself Starburst. His name has never changed since. The new website wasn’t for his first game, Notessimo 1, but for his newer updated version. Notessimo 2 was a major upgrade and certainly worked much smoother. New features included sheets, panning, volume adjusting, layers, duplicating sheets, a 4/4 time signature, two staffs, copying measures, clearing sheets, and clearing layers. Also, black was the new color scheme. Unfortunately, some of the instruments from the first version didn’t make it into Notessimo V2, like the Mario Paint sounds. Starburst’s first ever published song to the site was “My Title by Guest.” This was his way of testing to see if the share button feature worked or not. The song never was able to play, but it proved to be monumental, being that it was the very first “song” to be on the site. “Final Fantasy VII – Hurry !” was the second title in the list. See, multiple songs with the title “My Title” and “Unnamed Song” were posted shortly after the first song, but being that they couldn’t really play, this FF song is what I count as the second song. After Final Fantasy came “Super Mario Bros. Remix”. These two songs made it into the Sample Songs section in the composer. Starburst made Notessimo V2, allowing anybody to share songs, whether or not they were members or not. Now, members. This site was set up not only with the game, but also with a forum. Only members could post in the forum, and, to “showcase” their songs, members could post songs with their name (and link to their profile. I hope I made that clear! The first ten members ever are: Starburst, the main administrator last active July 14, 2015; M500, a car enthusiast and piano player last active April 3, 2008; Hypo, a drunk man who swears a lot, MOD, composer of Bohemian Rhapsody, supposedly last active April 2, 2013; Sandalman3000, MOD, last active July 13, 2015; Bron Skien, MOD, last active October 15, 2013; TreckoRegan last active April 5,2008; Kdiuldlea, MOD, last active April 10, 2014; gingerbread, last active April 6, 2008; Redness, last active April 7, 2008; and The Doctor, MOD, Last active July 15, 2015. Woo. First ten members. Frankov and Benzo completed the administrating team. Added to the moderating team were tyberious213, DarkChamelion, animefanboy, JMan1293, thisisdaleb better known as guitarskills, DD12, qoby better known as Anthony, Unknowned, Clonefan841, Nuse, Fran5 or Luchoo, Tsukasa, Snoop Dog BETTER KNOWN AS Star, QVX 797, Octomarine_, and Sonfax.

4 Likes

Aw yeah this is awesome.

But one thing you should remember (which a lot of people don’t seem to get ‘~’) is that a lot of members, i’m guessing ones that haven’t been active since 2011 or whenever the site had an update, it says that they were last active on the date when they joined. But you can see, for example, that M500’s last post was the 27th of July.

Anyway keep it up, can’t wait to read more!

1 Like

This is cool. BTW Notessimo isn’t the first program Starburst made. Some earlier ones can be found on Newgrounds, including “Tetris 64k” and “AtemiS Tracker V1”, which both led the way to Notessimo ( http://atemis-starburst.newgrounds.com )

2 Likes