A message for the community. Also, happy new years.

Hello, everyone! I hope you had an exciting new years and I hope you have high hopes for 2016. Surely we all have a new years resolution we’re ready to give up on in a few weeks, haha.

I just wanted to say thank you to this community. There are a ton of thank you posts on Facebook right now, so I thought it might’ve been a good idea to write one up for you guys.

For those who don’t really know me (or don’t want to know me), I go by Tsukasa on these forums. I am a moderator, and was only appointed as one not because of good behaviour or outstanding respect for the community, but because they needed someone to delete spam bot posts. I think they just forgot to unmod me after the bot problems were fixed, but I’m not really complaining. I joined this community in 2009, making really stupid songs, as everyone would expect. I knew nothing about music, nor did I have a good taste in it. I guess now I could say I’m competent in it. I’m quite happy with music, and I can safely say that it’s my passion. Nothing makes me happier than listening to a few favourite songs and I can’t live a day without it.

I don’t think I could have reached this level of appreciation for music without this wonderful community. I’ve met many great people, and a handful of lifetime friends. I would be a completely different person if I have never joined this place. I know I sometimes sound very rude, or stupid, or idiotic, or vulgar, or insulting (or all of the above) towards the community, but I really do appreciate all of you. I’m glad a lot of you love and enjoy what you do. I’ve seen a lot of you grow and improve, not just in your musical talent, but as a person as well. Sure, we have out fights, drama, and whatnot, but in the end, we’re all here to make and appreciate music, and we do just that. A lot of you are extremely talented and I can see almost everyone here going into music-related fields in the future. Everything you learn and create here is invaluable. The people you meet here might be someone you will work with, or even work for. This place may just be about a simple little flash app, but I assure you, as many of us have started music here, we probably will look back fondly at our silly little 3 second tunes composed mainly of quarter notes and think that from that, we’ve evolved and created something beautiful and special to us.

It would be very sad to see any of you give up on your artistic passions in frustration. But, you shouldn’t give up. I know that all of you have the potential to be the next Mozart, or Beethoven, or MC Ride, or Drake, if we all tried hard at it. As artists, it’s natural to dislike your creations. But, learning to appreciate your mistakes is one of the most priceless things an artist can have, and probably the hardest one to work on. Just remember that your musical idol has probably gone through the same thing, and he has only gotten far with his career because he kept working on that problem until his ears felt like crap.

Well anyways, I hope you guys have a successful year ahead of you, and learn to love yourself. Seriously.

-Tsukasa

13 Likes

Really?!?! Do you consider me to be decent at music?

I feel I should thank the community too. This may be a bit challenging since my story isn’t too exciting.

I found Notessimo a while back (2009?) while looking for musical games. Being the little kid I was, I felt I played every game there was to be played, so I took my game search and searched for my favorite games with a two (Dark Cut 2, Ragdoll Laser Dodge 2, Notessimo 2, etc). Well, I eventually came across this website and became inspired by the work on the front page. I joined as xXLink41Xx in 2010 and immediately became addicted with the thought of composing music.

To be honest, it took me a while to realize how much I actually appreciated the community; after all, there was a reason I kept coming back (…or is that just a poor excuse for being addicted…? hell if i know). I’d say, it was around 2014 when we starting chatting outside of Notessimo and got to know each other. I thank the Admins for Notessimo and the website, because without that, I might not have joined band or been as good as I am now. I also thank many of the composers here for giving me the advice I needed to be a better composer than I would’ve been. Specifically, I thank those who were in CC2012 because I picked up on a lot of things from that alone. Since then, I’ve been doing my best to contribute back to the community in my own ways, like helping the new users and setting up Game Night (which, by the way, I should probably start back up again).

I hope everyone will only grow from here onwards, since I like listening to what has been created by so many fantastic composers.

Sincerely,
Blargzargo Hlaaluington

P.S. and to the mods, thank you for not perma-banning me, twice! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Personally, I’m thankful for this site because it definitely got me a kick-start on writing and producing music. While my old stuff was horrid, I still learned how to write music! Without this site, I definitely wouldn’t have found out about FL Studios (I mean… FL Studios was gifted to me outside of Notessimo, but my interest in composing in a professional DAW like FL piqued after hearing about it on this site and all the comments section on EDM videos a couple times). I’m also thankful since I consider some people here like legit friends, even though I’ve never seen them in person (when I get older, though, I would love to meet some of you guys)! Not really a whole lot more to say since Tsu and Blarg have already stated most of my thoughts, so yeah! I kinda like you guys… :wink:

6 Likes

Hello, it is I the Apocoloptogon.

I’ve had a very similar history with this site as Blarg. I first found out about Notessimo one as a flash game, and liked it so I searched for Notessimo 2 and it felt like a whole new world with TWO clefs! This was around 2011-ish times, I will not be touching on those years… anyway, I believe this was actually my first online account I had ever made in March of 2013. I know I had quite a rough start, but by the end of 2014 I had pretty much made great friends with a lot of people on this site. A lot of people I regularly talk to and would even like to meet in real life.

I’m thankful for being gifted the art of music, and I hope my music library will continue to expand,dong and I really hope for music to stay a part of my future.

I’m very thankful for everyone I have met, and become good pals with on this site, for dealing with my troubling youth (literally about 2 years ago), and coping with me not really being used to the internet at all and becoming more web-social as a growing big boy.

As for a new years resolution? I’m gonna get frickin SWOLE, and maybe make some more songs! Also big boys…

new dank ass song comin niqqa

3 Likes

Of course. As long as you know what you like and what sounds good to you, you can. It’s easy to compare yourself to amazing composers here, like Hellstick for example, but I’m pretty sure even he has gone through a phase where his songs were not up to his own standard.

Haha, yes, I remember your Link41 days. You’ve turned out to be quite the interesting person. Very intelligent, talented, and you’re not so edgy anymore.

Honestly dude, I’m willing to bet my entire life savings (est. $7) that you’ll become a huge name one day. You’ve got so much potential. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll get the fans that you deserve.

I honestly doubt you’re going to get out this whole music thing, trust me. Chain and shackled to reverb and delay for all eternity.
And I’m still waiting for that sequel.

4 Likes

What an thoroughly sincere and delightful thread! I remember my humble beginnings back in the days. I have made music in various programs and posted it in various places, but I think notessimo is definitely the nicest music community I have had the honour to be a part of. It is simply wonderful to witness what such a simple program is capable of doing by the hands of users like you and me, not only in terms of musical output, but also in terms of creating a community. Sure, we have had ups and downs, and sure, users have come and gone but ultimately the positive experiences have outweighed the negative.
I am sorry if I have sometimes seemed harsh or full of myself, because the truth is that I realy do appreciate you guys, and I’m realy thankful I was fortunate enough to find this awesome flash game.

I hope 2016 will bring more motivation and creativity to ya’ll, and that the notessigods will bless you with the power to finish your compositions.

Thanks to the mods, thanks to the users, thanks to starburst and thanks to YOU!

Cheers!

-Hellstick

5 Likes

Here is my conribution:
I was the last member to join in 2011 before the site got it’s new look. I had been using the software for some time. I even had a really cool song that never made it to the site because It was in some funky composer that only saved to the game. My works here weren’t fabulous, but I tried. I gave up composing with notessimo maybe a year or a year and a half ago. I really had no inspiration. I stayed, however, because I felt I had a place in the forums.It’s been really interesting getting to know more and more about you peoples and even sorta not really meeting some of you. I have said that my name “ggfchl” is the first letters of my favorite comic strips:
G- Garfield
G- (added letter)
F- Foxtrot
C- Calvin
H- Hobbes
L- Lio
It’s been really neat seeing how this site has changed… from the black, to the blue, and now to the dark red (is there a better term?) I have been busy recently, so I haven’t really been able to learn V3. If ever there is another community collab, still add me in, but my contribution will be very little. And finally, I run a second account on here but rarely use it. I may have created it when I was suspended. Who knows. Can you find him? Hint: he’s the man mimicking many people.: aka The Imposter V5. I’d like to see that sucker gone forever, so mods please ban him for life.
That’s all! thanks for being a warm and welcoming community!
Sincerely,
ggfchl

3 Likes

Well, uh, hey there all, I felt I should join in on story time as well.

I was ten years old when I first found Notessimo by accident, and had no idea how music worked and had little interest in music itself. Solely because I joined this community, I now plan on a music career in the future; this place has been that big of a deal to me. Although I’ve never been an extremely active forum member as many of yous are, I’ve stuck around this long for the humorous and supportive community that resides here. I find it incredible how close-knit this community is, and how there are so many amazing (and musically-inclined) people on just this one small website.
I’m not very good at expanding my thoughts so I’ll end it there, but it has been a pleasure to meet you all. Excited to hear all the lovely compositions of the new year.

-Muci
​New Year’s Resolution: Convince myself CC2016 will become a thing.

3 Likes

Might as well join in on the fun. Pull up a chair and grab your popcorn, everyone. It’s story time.

[details=Click to expand] Well, hello everyone. I’m Tanner, but you all know me as W0lfe, or ~Wolfe~ when I originally joined this site. But, before I give you the story of how I found the site, a little backstory on why I wanted to find it.

I LOVE orchestral music. I LOVE EDM. I basically love every genre of music (except modern country. That can go retire itself). Basically, I loved music that had a big sound to it, while being catchy at the same time, and I still do. It’s always a treat when I find music that sounds like it belongs in a movie, or in some epic story. And I wanted to do that myself. I thought big when I was younger (and I still do, I’m currently making plans to do a feature-length animated film), and when I thought big, I wanted to do it immediately. So, I took to the Internet.

I first found Notessimo around November of 2011 on Newgrounds (back when V1 was still a thing). I was looking for a free music composer made in Flash (just for shits and giggles, I didn’t know, nor still don’t know, how to read music), and I decided to give Notessimo V1 a chance. It looked a lot like Mario Paint (which I didn’t know at the time), and it even had the Mario Paint soundfont. I played around with the composer for a little while, and I said, “Hey, this seems cool! I’ll go to the Kongregate link to check it out some more!” And I did. After playing with it for a little longer, I realized that this was a cool little way for me to make chiptune music (since all I did on the composer was make little synth melodies), so I did that for a little bit, but then got bored of it, so I left it alone. Then, about a month later, in December of 2011, I remembered something about a music composer that I briefly enjoyed, so I searched for it again, and I found notessimo.net. This was back when the site was all in black, and V2 had been released kinda recently. I browsed the website, looking at the various songs that users had put up. I don’t remember what the first song I listened to on that site was, but when I listened to that song in it’s entirety, I was like, “Damn, this could actually work. I’m gonna learn how to make music.” I lurked for a little while on the site (mainly since I didn’t know where to register on the site lol), browsing through various songs that users had put up every day. And then, without warning… it shut down. I don’t remember the exact date it shut down, but it closed for a while. I was so disappointed, that I had almost given up entirely. But there was this one nagging thought inside my head that said it would come back, and I would finally learn how to make music. And it did, a couple weeks later, on New Year’s Eve 2011, with a new site. I didn’t even notice until late February of 2012, when I decided to see if it came back after all that time. I was so excited that day, I immediately registered as ~Wolfe~. And I’ve been here ever since. [/details]

So, that’s my story. Kinda long, but worth it. Even though I still have troubles with the composer at times, it’s not all in vain. I have a great community surrounding me, and they’re so helpful, so generous, and so funny, it’s almost as if they’re my real life friends. And I want to thank you for having me in your community for all this time. My 4 year anniversary is coming up soon, and 4 years is a long time to be in a community. I’ve learned a lot of things about music in that time, and I hope to learn a lot more.

Here’s to the next 4 years!

W0lfe

4 Likes

I honestly can’t remember how I found this site, but I remember I used to make a lot of stuff in v2 (mostly bad stuff tbh) before I did. Even though most of the stuff I did around the time I joined was pretty cringy (all those friggin drum things and the lack of acknowledgement to criticism i had omf), I still appreciate the times I had around that time. It makes me realize how far I’ve come as a musician, since I was introduced to FL Studio through this very website and have been using it for almost 3 years. Even though I don’t use the composer as much as I used to when I first joined the site, I’m still thankful for being a member of this website for nearly 4 years. If it hadn’t have been for these forums, I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am as a music producer thanks to the people on this site. Thank you all for being an amazing community and I hope the future brings more fantastic musicians in the making.

4 Likes